The following terms and conditions are provided so that you and I both have an upfront and honest understanding of what is involved in the process of working together. If you have any questions or concerns, no matter how small, feel free to contact me.
By working together, the Client and I both acknowledge that we have read, understood and agreed to these terms and conditions.
All references to ‘in writing’ or similar phrases include email or other forms of written communication (e.g. Facebook messages).
These terms and conditions apply to any work done on behalf of the Client (you) by me (Jane Spencer).
- I will provide services in proofreading, editing, design and layout, or publishing consultation as agreed upon (in writing) by myself and the Client.
- The Client is under no obligation to offer me work; neither am I under any obligation to accept work offered by the Client.
- The work will be carried out unsupervised at such times and places as determined by me, using my own equipment.
- The work will be carried out by me. I will not subcontract any projects, or parts of projects, to third parties without prior agreement.
- I confirm that I am self-employed, am responsible for my own income tax and National Insurance contributions, and will not claim benefits granted to the Client’s employees.
- I am not VAT-registered.
Prior to commencement of the work, the Client and I will agree, in writing/email, to the terms of the project, including:
- how the service will be carried out (e.g. in Word, on PDF, on paper)
- how the material will be annotated (e.g. Track Changes in Word, BSI correction symbols on paper)
- the length of time required to complete the project
- the fee for the project, following my evaluation of the material to be and the time frame required to complete the job
- any expenses (e.g. postage) that the Client will bear in addition to the costs of the project
- the date by which the material will be delivered by the Client to me
- the latest date by which the completed project will be returned, following my advice to the Client
- If it becomes apparent that significantly more work is required than had been anticipated in the preliminary discussion, or from the sample supplied, the fee may need to be renegotiated, the deadline may need to be altered, or I may decline to carry out the work.
Booking and deposit
- The Client will normally need to book their slot in my schedule in advance. While I will try my best to accommodate, I cannot guarantee to fit in with the Client’s preferred dates.
- I reserve the right to request a deposit, normally 25% of the estimate (see Fees, below). This deposit will be agreed upon by the Client and myself and will secure the booking for the project.
- I will invoice the Client for the agreed deposit. This deposit should be paid within 3 days – the booking is not secure until payment is received.
- In the unlikely event that the Client needs to change their booked slot, I will do my best to assist, but due to the demands of my own work schedule I cannot guarantee to fit in with the Client’s preferred dates. I therefore strongly recommend that the Client plans carefully and commits to the project schedule once agreed.
- I will supply an estimate after an evaluation of the project and a discussion with the Client as to what is required.
- Once the Client and I have agreed the full fee, it is non-negotiable unless the Client extends the word count of the job or requests additional services, or in the event that the project submitted is altered so as to make it substantially different from when the estimate was agreed. In this case, a revised estimate and job-completion date will be negotiated.
- Unless otherwise agreed, I will supply the Client with an invoice immediately upon return of the completed project.
- Payment should be received within 14 days of the invoice being sent.
Cancellation prior to project commencement
In the unlikely case that the Client cancels the work prior to the project commencing, but after making a booking and agreeing to the terms and conditions for services herein, one of the following will apply:
- In the event that the Client wishes to cancel with more than four weeks’ notice, no charge will apply.
- If the cancellation occurs with less than four weeks’ notice, I reserve the right to retain the deposit paid.
Cancellation during the project
In the unlikely case that the Client cancels the work during the project, if the job is over halfway complete I reserve the right to invoice for 100% of the agreed total fee; if the job is under halfway complete I reserve the right to invoice for 50% of the agreed total fee.
- Both the Client and I have the right to terminate a contract for services at any time if there is a serious breach of its terms.
- The Client is free to cancel a service for any reason by providing me with written notice; I must acknowledge this cancellation in writing for this to be valid.
- I may cancel a service at any time for any reason by providing written notice to the Client. In the unlikely event that I cancel a service, I will provide a prorated refund of any overages of fees paid (including the booking fee).
- In the unlikely event that the Client is touched by extraordinary or difficult circumstances that cause cancellation (e.g. family crisis, illness etc.), the Client should contact me to discuss the terms of the cancellation policy. I aim to be fair and helpful at all times.
- If I am touched by similar extraordinary or difficult circumstances that cause cancellation, I will contact the Client in writing at the earliest opportunity and do my best to renegotiate the time frame of the project or find an alternative supplier of proofreading/editing/design services.
- The nature and content of the work will be kept confidential and not made known to anyone other than the Client and its contractors without prior written permission.
- I will not, under any circumstances, upload the Client’s files to external websites or distribute them to third parties unless specifically authorized to do so, in writing/email, by the Client.
- Under the terms of the Data Protection Act 1998, the Client and I may keep on record such information (e.g. contact details) as is necessary. Either may view the other’s records to ensure that they are relevant, correct and up to date.
- All content delivered to me by the Client for the project is owned by the Client.
- Following payment of my invoice, any content created by me as part of the proofreading/editing/design process will become the copyright of the Client unless otherwise agreed.
- Please read my Quality Matters page. This is my honest declaration of what’s possible when it comes to perfection, particularly when I’m working on a file that hasn’t been through previous rounds of extensive professional editorial revision.
- I am not responsible for the sales of your book. While having your book professionally edited or designed will add greatly to its professional image, there are many other factors that come into play for a book to be successful, such as publicity and marketing, and these are beyond the scope of the work I carry out.
This agreement is subject to the laws of England and Wales, and both the Client and I agree to submit to the jurisdiction of the English and Welsh courts.