I am a registered sole trader operating as Jane Spencer Editorial. I offer copy-editing, proofreading, design and formatting, and publishing consultation services to authors. My client/customer base is worldwide.
This policy describes how I protect and make use of the information you give me.
If you are asked to provide information, it will only be used in ways stated in this policy.
Why do I collect data from you?
I gather and use certain information about you in order to:
- respond to your requests for information (e.g. my availability or a quote for editorial services)
- allow me to contact you while an project is ongoing
- improve the way I do business
What information do I collect from you?
I collect only the information I need to carry out my work with you:
- your name
- your email address
- your location or postal address
- any information pertinent to your enquiry (e.g. word count, nature of project)
How do I use this data?
The data I collect is used as follows:
- To contact you in response to your enquiry or booking.
- To record your agreement to the terms and conditions of my editorial services.
- For my internal accounting processes (e.g. so I can invoice you) and so that I am compliant with my tax authority (HMRC).
I will never use this data for marketing or promotion purposes without getting your permission in writing first, for example, to publish your testimonial for me on my website, or to inform you about future services.
How do I collect your personal data?
I collect and your information in the following ways:
- Contact form (via WordPress)
- Email (via 123 Reg)
I will never lease, distribute or sell your information to third parties unless you give me written permission to do so, or I am required to do so by law.
How do I store your personal data?
The minimal information I collect is stored on the following data servers:
How long do I keep your data for?
Because many of my customers and clients work with me more than once, I do not delete data unless specifically requested to do so.
- HMRC requires me to keep records for ‘at least 5 years after the 31 January submission deadline of the relevant tax year’. You can read details of this requirements on HMRC website: the page ‘Business records if you’re self-employed‘.
- Please ask if you want me to delete or amend your records. I’ll do so immediately, only keeping those records necessary in order to comply with HMRC’s legal requirements, I’ll action your request immediately.
With whom is your data shared?
No one, unless you request that I do so in writing, or HMRC elects to audit my business.
If you have any questions or requests for modification or removal of your data, you are welcome to email me at email@example.com.