The cost will depend on several factors, such as the size of your project, the level of editing or proofreading required, how clean the manuscript is, and the turnaround time requested. If you are interested in hiring me, I will take a look at your manuscript or project and give you an estimate.
As a guide, my charges for working on book manuscripts or similar large documents fall within a range:
Copy-editing: Between £7 and £12 per 1,000 words
Proofreading: Between £4 and £8 per 1,000 words
Book formatting: From £150
Consultation/project management: Varies, depending on your requirements
I am always happy to do what I can to assist with your budget, for example:
- Advising you as to what you can do to bring costs down
- Offering payment in instalments
- Offering a 10% discount if you book more than one service
For smaller projects, such as website reviews, magazine articles and business literature, my charges are based on the above guidelines, but I will need to see the work to give an accurate cost.
I can often fit smaller projects into my schedule and will do my utmost to meet your deadlines.
To enquire and book
- Contact me and tell me about your project
- We’ll have a no obligation discussion about what you need
- If you’re enquiring about editing/proofreading a book, I’ll ask to see the entire manuscript (in complete confidence) and have a conversation with you about what your aims are
- I’ll give you a quote and we’ll agree time frames
- For smaller projects, an agreement via email is often sufficient. For larger projects, if necessary, I can prepare a contract so that we are both clear on the nature and scope of the work (I use digital contracts through www.signable.co.uk, which is a quick and easy process)
- For longer projects, I usually require a booking fee of 25% of your quote, which is taken off your final bill
- I can then start work on our agreed dates